Firstly, this blog has over 10,000 views, YAY!
Secondly, I am very proud to introduce my FIRST EVER RECIPE that I actually made up, out of my own head, all by myself!
I am known to be a good cook in my social circles, but I've been a good cook of the recipes of others. This is the first real recipe I've ever created and I'm really quite proud of it because it was astoundingly delicious. And also really easy, much moreso than the genuine article, and no ick-factor that comes with "mystery meat".
Anyway, enjoy and please do make it and leave some feedback in the comments! I'd like to know what tweaks you've made.
So without further ado, I present:
Vegan Chickpea Donairs
Serves 2-4 people
|A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Or at least until you eat it.|
- 4-6 pitas
- 2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas
- 4 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Vegetables of your choice for toppings - Could include peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, etc.
- A batch of the awesome vegan donair sauce you can find here.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice and spices. Pour the liquid over the chickpeas and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chickpea mixture on the lined sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, make your donair sauce and chop up whatever veggies you want for toppings.
- When everything is done cooking, layer the donair chickpeas, veggies and sauce on your pita. Roll up and enjoy! This recipe is messy though, so you may want to give your donair a tinfoil diaper like they do at the store if you're planning on not eating it over a plate!